What is sustainability
Sustainability means operating your business in a way that protects the environment as well as keeping your business viable.
Sustainability consultants are experts in environmental policy and sustainable business practices. Many specialise in a particular area, industry, and type of company.
How consultants work
Consultants carry out a detailed analysis of your business based on the issue you have hired them to study. This can including your use of energy, transport, waste management and other topics.
They will then propose a strategy for improving efficiency in line with your business needs.
A sustainability consultant will help you:
- understand the opportunities of sustainability
- create a strategy which fits your business goals
- identify sustainable practices and products
- become more efficient with your resources
- monitor, report and communicate your progress
Based on the advice of a sustainability consultant you can:
- reduce carbon emissions and energy costs
- meet environmental regulations
- reduce the amount of tax you pay and get grants
- attract new customers
- help those in your supply chain meet new targets
- attract and retain employees who care about the environment
This depends on the size of your business and whether you need ongoing support.
Find a consultant
Use the following websites to find directories of sustainability consultants:
- Institute for Environmental Management and Assessment (IEMA)
- Association for Renewable Energy and Clean Technology (REA)
If you’re looking for a consultant to advise on your premises, visit the Designing Buildings website for links to consultants that specialise in buildings.
Other ways to get advice
If you don’t have the resources to hire a sustainability consultant, you could: