UK-wide finance and support
These support schemes and networks are available anywhere in the UK:
- BEIS Industrial Energy Efficiency Accelerator provides funds for companies willing to implement low carbon technology
- Business rates relief – some businesses in England are eligible for a reduction in their business rates bill. This is called ‘business rates relief’. The rules for business rates relief are different if your property is in Scotland, your property is in Wales or your property is in Northern Ireland.
- Capital allowances – businesses who are eligible can fully expense their plant and machinery costs and access 50% first-year allowances for special rate expenditure from April 2023 until 31 March 2026
- Clean Growth Fund invests in early stage UK companies seeking investment capital for low carbon activities
- Energy Bills Discount Scheme runs for 12 months from 1 April 2023 to 31 March 2024. The baseline discount provides some support with energy bills for eligible non-domestic customers and is applied automatically. The Energy and Trade Intensive Industries (ETII) discount provides a higher level of support to businesses and organisations in eligible sectors – you need to apply for this support. Eligible organisations will have 90 days from 26 April 2023 to apply for the higher support. New organisations or newly eligible organisations will have 90 days to apply from the date at which they become eligible.
- Energy Saving Trust’s ‘Transport for funding for businesses and local authorities’ for information on low carbon transport grants and loans available in the UK and Scotland
- Gigabit vouchers give up to £1,500 for homes and £3,500 for businesses to install high speed internet in rural areas
- Green Economy allows SMEs to buy and sell low carbon products and services to other businesses
- Industrial Energy Transformation Fund gives matching funds to businesses with high energy use from industrial processes matching funds – up to £30M for feasibility studies, efficiency measures and decarbonisation deployment. Phase 1 and 2 are completed, and IETF Phase 3 is planned for launch in early 2024. For queries about the IETF for England, Wales and Northern Ireland, contact IETF@beis.gov.uk. For queries about the Scottish Industrial Energy Transformation Fund (SIETF), contact IETF@gov.scot
- VAT will no longer be charged from 2022 to 2027 on some domestic energy saving measures in England, Scotland and Wales. Eligible measures include insulation, heat pumps, solar panels, wind turbines and more. In Northern Ireland, the list of qualifying goods and rate of VAT due on installations will remain unchanged. The Northern Ireland Executive will receive a Barnett share of the value of the relief until it can be introduced UK-wide.
- Workplace Charging Scheme gives businesses up to £350 per socket (up to a total of 40) to install electric vehicle chargepoints
- Wrap supports a voluntary agreement on food waste – the Courtauld Commitment 2030 – which enables collaborative action across the entire UK food chain to deliver farm-to-fork reductions in food waste, greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions and water stress that will help the UK food and drink sector achieve global environmental goals
You can also search GOV.UK’s list of active funds that help businesses become greener, or the UK Research and Innovation’s list of business competitions that award grants for green projects.
Scotland – finance and support
These support schemes and networks are available in Scotland:
- Business Energy Scotland gives SMEs access to consulting, loans (up to £100,000) and grants (up to £20,000) for energy efficiency and renewable heat measures
- Circular Economy Investment Fund gives SMEs and non-profit organisations matching funds to reduce waste and develop green products
- Domestic charge point funding gives up to £700 toward the installation of an electric vehicle charge point
- eBike loans offer interest-free loans of up to £6,000 for the purchase of an approved electric bike – the repayment period is 4 years
- Electric vehicle (EV) loans gives interest-free loans up to £28,000 to buy a new EV or £10,000 for a motorcycle or scooter – the repayment period is 6 years
- Energy Investment Fund offers loans and investments for commercial and community-based low carbon energy projects
- Find Business Support gives customers an overview of all funding and services offered by public sector organisations across Scotland
- Home Energy Scotland offers interest free loans and cashback for energy efficiency and renewable upgrades to a domestic property – maximum loan amount is £32,500 and cashback is £14,000. From Tuesday 27 June 2023, funding for solar PV and energy storage systems will only be available as part of a package together with a heat pump or high heat retention storage heaters. As a result, applications for solar PV and/or energy storage systems only will no longer be eligible.
- NESTRANS Sustainable Travel Scheme gives SMEs and community organizations up to £10,000 in matching funds for sustainable transport initiatives – must be based in Aberdeen or Aberdeenshire
- Private Rented Sector Landlord Loans lets property management businesses borrow up to £15,000 for energy efficiency and £17,000 for renewable systems – interest and fees apply
- Small Business Bonus Scheme provides rates relief to help owners of non-domestic properties, including businesses
- SME Loan Scheme offers interest-free loans from £1,000 to £100,000 to pay for energy efficiency and carbon reducing upgrades – up to £20,000 can be provided as a grant if installing eligible equipment
- Used Electric Vehicle Loan for Business gives interest-free loans up to £20,000 for businesses of all sizes to buy a used electric car, van or moped
- Vehicle retrofits and safe disposal of non-compliant vehicles funds are available from Energy Saving Trust – must be a SME with 9 employees or less and located within 20km of Glasgow, Edinburgh, Aberdeen or Dundee
- Zero Waste Scotland also offers free support and advice for businesses, including a free energy assessment and comprehensive report with actions you can take to reduce emissions